Transforming Lives is committed to protecting your personal information, whether you are a fundraiser, supporter of a fundraiser, donor or volunteer. This policy explains how Transforming Lives (we or us) collects and uses the personal information you provide to us, or which we collect about you whether online, via phone, email, in letters or in any other correspondence. In some of the other ways that we interact with you, additional terms and conditions may also apply that set out additional ways in which we may use your personal information. Please also be aware that you may also be subject to third party terms over which we have no control (for example, website operator terms and payment agent terms). You should check if any such terms apply and, if so, review these carefully. We ensure that we use your information in accordance with all applicable laws concerning data protection. This policy explains:
- What information Transforming Lives may collect about you;
- How we may use that information;
- Whether we disclose your details to anyone else;
- Your choices regarding the information you provide to us.
By submitting your data to us, you agree to your personal data being used and disclosed in the manner set out in this policy. We will, where possible, remind you at the time we collect your personal data of the way in which we intend to use your data and, where applicable, make this policy available to you.
Who we are
Transforming Lives is a charitable foundation set up by Mike and Catriona Marshall to help transform the lives of people who most need it. The foundation is responsible for organising the Cheshire Dash for Duchenne 2019. Our registered charity number in England is: 1158447.
We may collect personal information about you when you enquire about our activities, register with us for our newsletters, engage with our social media channels, make a donation to us, register for an event (including the Cheshire Dash), make payment for participation in an event, participate in research or surveys, take part in an event (including the Cheshire Dash) or otherwise provide us with personal information. This can include information such as your name, postal address, email address, phone number, occupation, date of birth, expressions of opinion, credit/debit card details, whether you are a tax payer so that we can claim Gift Aid and photography and video footage including your image/likeness. We may also receive such information about you from third parties, for example your doctor when we have requested a medical certificate.
We will only collect 'sensitive personal data' where there is a clear reason for doing so. For example, we collect specific health information (including information around any medical conditions you have, recent medical treatments, illnesses, disability, pregnancy and medication) about participants in the Cheshire Dash (our main fundraising event in 2019) and may also do so for other similar fundraising events to ensure that we provide appropriate facilities or support to enable you to participate safely in the event and to evaluate your ability to participate in the event. Where we collect 'sensitive personal data' we will only do so with your consent. We will also need your consent as to how we use such information. We will make it clear to you when collecting this information as to what we are collecting and why.
In the event that you no longer consent to us using your 'sensitive personal data' you should notify us using the contact details set out in this policy. If you do withdraw your consent, you may not be able to participate in any fundraising event (including the Cheshire Dash) as processing of such data is required to ensure your health and safety, and the health and safety of other participants in the event. We will notify you if this is the case. Withdrawal of consent in this way shall not affect the lawfulness of our use of the information before such withdrawal.
We may also collect information from you regarding your next of kin (including their name, address and telephone number(s)) when you register with us for an event (including the Cheshire Dash). When you provide this information to us, you should ensure your nominated next of kin is aware that this information has been provided.
How we may use your information
We may use your information for a number of purposes including the following:
- To provide you with the services, products or information you have requested or which we feel may interest you where you have consented to being contacted;
- To process donations we may receive from you;
- To fundraise in accordance with our internal policies and procedures;
- To provide you with information about our work or our activities that you have agreed to receive;
- For administration purposes (for example we may contact you regarding a donation you have made or the event you have registered for);
- For internal record keeping, including the management of any feedback or complaints;
- To invite you to participate in surveys or research (although this is voluntary);
- To use IP addresses to identify your approximate location, to block disruptive use and to record website traffic;
- To evaluate your ability to, and ensure your safety if, you participate in any of our fundraising activities (for example we collect health data from participants in the Cheshire Dash to check that they should be able to cope with the rigours of the ride and next of kin information to contact them in the event of any emergency);
- Where it is required or authorised by law or policy;
- To promote our activities and the events organised by us.
Photography and videos
We may use photographs and video content using your image or likeness, taken during your participation in an event, for the purpose of raising awareness of the activities and charitable purposes of Transforming Lives. Such photos and video content may be distributed worldwide unless you tell us that you do not wish us to do so. If you wish for any photo or image to be removed, please contact us using the details set out in this policy.
Retention of your information
We will retain your personal information only as long as necessary to fulfil the purposes identified above, or as required by law.
Information sharing and disclosure
- Transforming Lives does not sell, trade, or rent your personal information to others.
- We may need to share your information (including any 'sensitive personal data' you provide to us) with our service providers, associated organisations and agents for the purposes outlined above (including for the purpose of organising appropriate support services and facilities for events, including the Cheshire Dash). Where this is the case, we will only share such information with such third party to the extent necessary. We may also disclose your information in an emergency situation that requires it or where we are legally required to do so.
- We will not transfer any of your information to any country outside of the European Economic Area.
We may contact you for marketing purposes by email if you have agreed to be contacted in this manner for marketing purposes and do not subsequently op-out of receiving further marketing information.
If you have provided us with your postal address or telephone number we may send you direct mail or telephone you about our work unless you have told us that you would prefer not to receive such information.
It is your choice as to whether you want to receive information about our work and the ways you can get involved. You may opt-out of marketing emails at any time by clicking the 'unsubscribe' link in our marketing emails.
You can also change any of your contact preferences at any time (including telling us that you don't want us to contact you for marketing purposes by telephone, or send you direct marketing by post) by contacting us by email: email@example.com or by writing to us using the following address: Transforming Lives, Brickbank, Brick Bank Lane, Allostock, Knutsford, Cheshire, WA16 9LY.
We will not use your information for marketing purposes if you have indicated that you do not wish to be contacted for such purposes. However, we will retain your details on a suppression list to help ensure that we do not continue to contact you.
Access to information and correction
You have the following rights in respect of the information we hold about you:
- the right to request a copy of the information that we hold about you;
- the right to have any inaccuracies in your information corrected;
- the right (subject to the restrictions set out below) to request we delete any information we hold about you;
- the right to stop us holding or using your information;
- the right to have your information moved, copied or transferred to another entity;
- the right to object in respect of any marketing activities we carry out using your information
If you would like to exercise these rights please email Transforming Lives at firstname.lastname@example.org or write to us using the following address: Transforming Lives, Brickbank, Brick Bank Lane, Allostock, Knutsford, Cheshire, WA16 9LY.
Your exercise of these rights will be subject to applicable laws and regulations.
Exercising your right for us to delete the information we are holding about you or the right to stop us holding or using your information may mean that you are unable to participate in a fundraising event which we have arranged (including the Cheshire Dash) as we will need to use such information for your and other participants' health and safety. We will notify you where this is the case.
How to contact us
- by email: email@example.com
- or by writing to us using the following address: Transforming Lives, Brickbank, Brick Bank Lane, Allostock, Knutsford, Cheshire, WA16 9LY
How to make a complaint
You have a right to complain to the relevant supervisory authority in respect of our use of your personal information. In the UK, your relevant supervisory authority will usually be the Information Commissioner's Office.